The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett.
HarperCollins Publishers: NY, 2000.
- A replica of the Scone of Stone is stolen.
- Commander Sam Vimes is called upon to do his ducal duty at the coronation of the Low King of Uberwald.
- Vimes leaves Captain Carrot in charge of the City Watch, who then leaves Sergeant Colon in charge (Big mistake!), and enlists a scruffy dog to sniff out Sergeant Angua, who is heading to Uberwald on family business (sort of).
- Sergeant Colon, now Captain Colon, goes on a power trip with a severe case of sugar cube paranoia.
- Despite Vimes's best behavior, he meets confrontation at every turn.
- Gaspode, the scruffy dog, ponders the complications of humans.
- There are too many Igors to distinguish between them.
- Corporal Nobbs forms a labor union and pickets, and the Watch is reduced to one holed up in the station.
- Who's behind the uncalled for incarceration?
- Duke Vimes enjoys a cigar in a hot spring before running pell-mell through the snowy forest.
- Another visit from Death.
- An attempted arrest ends in one dead, two operated on by Igor, and two missing.
- An Igor's funeral - pieces to go.
- Vimes and Lady Sybil take the scenic route home.
related-DiscWorld, Uberwald, dwarfs, werewolves, Commander Sam Vimes and Lady Sybil, Carrot and Angua, Colon and Nobbs, the Low King of Uberwald, diplomacy and power struggle, satire, humorous, social issues
Recent NTugo Network Posts
©2006-2016 BookAdvice.net. Advice, banner, and coding help given by Redwall_hp. Established May 2006.